}

Monday, July 4, 2016

{recipes} Homemade Play Dough

One of my favorite things to do with Kinsley is make play dough. 
Rylan is notorious for eating and sticking just about everything into her mouth, and I always know when she's discovered play dough because her teeth turn into turquoise little chiclets.
I loathe the stuff, truly.
When Kinsley wants to do play dough, I kind of cringe...mainly because it's a hot mess, and I get paranoid about what exactly Rylan is sticking in her mouth when she spies it.

So I started making my own play dough a few months ago, and let me tell ya...it's the easiest, cheapest and healthiest thing to play with.
If Rylan wants to eat it? So be it!
Sure doesn't taste good, but I know exactly is in it and that makes me feel a little better about it all ;)

So here is something fun to do and make with your kids for Fourth of July. 
You can make any color, but today we did it special for the holiday to cut out stars and stripes to create play dough flags.

Homemade Play Dough Recipe
1 cup flour
1/2 salt
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
1 tablespoon oil
1 cup water
food coloring

Mix all the ingredients together, minus the food coloring, in a sauce pan. 
Heat it on medium heat on the stove for about 5 minutes, or until it's in a gooey, thick consistency. 
Take it off the heat and add food coloring.
Knead it with your hands to make sure the color distributes evenly.
The dough may feel a little sticky at first, but once it dries and the more you knead it, it turns into the perfect play dough texture.
Store in an airtight container or ziplock bag and the stuff will keep for months!
You can even keep it in the refrigerator to extend its shelf life, but totally not necessary.

I used one batch to make all three colors: red, white and blue.
I divided the dough into thirds, and added red and blue coloring to two of the sections.

Such a fun and easy activity to do with your kids, and the best part is it's completely SAFE for them to play with!

We started our morning off with an adorable fruit flag, made with blueberries, raspberries, cherries, strawberries and yogurt covered pretzels. Need any last minute ideas to take to a party?? This is guaranteed to be a hit! 


Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment