}

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Rylan's Birth Story

Oh hey everyone, remember me?
This blog has definitely taken a back seat the last month, but I'm hoping to find some motivation now to keep up with it more.
Especially because I have a brand spankin' new baby to share and document and photograph all day, every day :)

So in case you haven't heard, Miss Rylan Aliza has made her entrance into the world and is almost a week old now.
So it's only appropriate that my first blog from my blogging hiatus is all about her and her birth story.

Since I last documented in my 35 week pregnancy post, a lot had happened.
I had my first cervical exam at 37 weeks and I was 2 cm dilated, 70% effaced.
I thought, wow this is great! She's definitely going to come early like Kinsley did!
Well...week 37 passed, and no baby.
38 week appointment came...I was now 3 cm dilated, still 70% effaced.
I thought, wow this is DEFINITELY going to be the week!!
Well...week 38 passed and still no baby.
39 week appointment came, and I was just beyond ready to get some news that her arrival would be near.
I was 3 cm dilated, 70% effaced...STILL!
But I was at a +2 pelvic station and the doctor kept saying" she's sooooo low!"
Clearly, a step in the right direction but I wanted her to just come already!

After my appointment on Monday (39 week appointment), I started having really bad cramps.
Like worse than usual, and around 5:30ish that night I was having contractions about 10 minutes apart.
They stuck around for a few hours, so we of course thought this could be it.
Kyle called his parents, gave them a heads up they might want to drive down already because all signs were pointing to it happening very soon.
Well an hour later, my contractions completely stopped.
I had absolutely NONE the rest of the night.
I was so upset, so discouraged, so frustrated...

Tuesday and Wednesday came and went, with my usual 10 minute apart contractions that just never picked up or got worse.
Thursday I woke up and felt absolutely awful.
My entire body hurt, my head hurt, I was beyond moody and just ready to go into hiding.
I felt like this baby was never going to come and I was going to feel terrible for the next year of my life.
Clearly, that was impossible, but that's how I felt!
Kyle and I took Kinsley for a walk around the neighborhood in the morning and it was the most refreshing thing to happen to me all week.
To feel the fresh air, to spend time with my baby girl, and get my mind off the misery I was experiencing.

Around 1:00ish, I started feeling some contractions that were actually painful for me.
That I needed to concentrate and breathe through because they were so painful.
I didn't think anything of it because I've had false alarms for about three weeks straight.
Around 3:00 they stopped, and of course...I felt defeated.
I ate BBQ chips and a mountain dew (screw you diet) and watched Dance Moms in bed.
When Kinsley woke up from her nap, she came straight to my side and we laid in bed watching Disney Jr.
And then the contractions started up again.
And were getting painful.
After about an hour of them coming every 7 minutes, I decided to let Kyle know.
I didn't want to disappoint him again with a false alarm, but I was feeling pretty confident things might actually be happening.
30 minutes later, we were getting ready to head to the hospital because they were coming 5-6 minutes apart...and becoming a lot unbearable.

We start the drive to the hospital, and of course: TRAFFIC!
Darn you, snowbirds!
Every 5-6 minutes my contractions were coming and I honestly thought I would be delivering the baby on the side of the road.
All I kept thinking and praying was "just get me to the hospital!"

We finally made it at 6:15 and I checked in and went to get examined.
I was 5-6 cm dilated, fully effaced and being admitted.
The pain was so bad I just knew I couldn't do this all natural again, so when my doctor came in to see me before being moved up to the labor and delivery floor, I asked for an epidural.

I made it up to my room around 7:15pm and the contractions were now coming every 3-5 minutes apart, and I was screaming in pain through each of them.
I got my IV, had blood work taken and was informed it would be at least 20-30 minutes before I could get the epidural.
I panicked.
I knew there was no way on Earth I could keep this baby in that long and I'd have to suck it up.
I kept saying to Kyle and my mom, "I can't do this!" "I don't wanna do this again" "It hurts so bad!!"
And then I swear Jesus himself walked through the door.
The anesthesiologist came walking in with my nurse and I had never been so happy before in my life!
She walked me through every step of what she was doing, and before I knew it...the epidural was in place and the pain slowly started going away.
Not too long after, I was taking a nap and life was just peachy!
I have NO IDEA how I ever made it through my first delivery natural because after having an epidural...I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!
The epidural was AMAZING! 
AMAZING I TELL YOU!!

It did slow my progression down some, but that was perfectly fine with me.
My doctor came in and broke my water and I was left to wait it out until it was time.
Around 11:15pm, the doctor came back to check on me and the baby's head was literally about to pop out so it was go time!!
All the necessary people entered the room, geared up and got ready to get things moving.
Two contractions & three pushes later...I watched as Miss Rylan made her entrance into this world at 11:36pm.
It was absolutely beautiful, peaceful and wonderful.
I felt no pain and actually enjoyed giving birth this time around.
She was just beautiful and hearing her little cry melted my heart into a million little pieces.
My doctor kept saying how it was a textbook birth, and how she wished she could have video taped it.
The way Rylan rotated when I started pushing, and how quick it all went...apparently it was just "beautiful".

She weighed 7 pounds, 9 ounces.
20 inches long.








My recovery in the hospital was great.
I had no real problems, other than soreness and cramping from nursing.
Rylan has been such a wonderful baby, eating like a champ and is so chill, it's crazy.
The day I was looking forward to most was Kinsley coming to meet her baby sister for the first time.
She loved her and instantly wanted to hold her.
My heart was so full it could have burst seeing the two of them together.
My mom got Kinsley this adorable little doctor/scrub outfit that said "big sister", along with a Doc McStuffins coat to wear.
As part of her big sister gift that we had at the hospital waiting for her, was a Sofia suitcase filled with toys...one being the Doc McStuffins doctor kit.
She LOVED IT and loves playing doctor on her toys and Rylan.
Great gift idea, for those of you looking for one ;)









We were discharged late Saturday morning and were left to tend to two little girls now.
Kinsley has been so good with the adjustment.
Sure there are times she could care less about her, but she is so gentle and sweet with her.
She loves to bring me all kinds of random items while I nurse her.
She loves to push her in her swing and says "aww baby Ry-dee!"
She hates when she cries though, and will give the saddest face and say "baby Ry cwying"
Every time I nurse her she'll tell everyone "momma milk" or "Ry-dee bottle".
And when I change her diapers, she's my designated wipe girl and hands me the diaper.
I just love her so much, and I'm so glad we were able to give her a little sister.
I know once Rylan can do more stuff with her, it's just going to make her beyond happy.


And now I'm learning how to be a momma to two.
It certainly is no easy task and I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a day that has gone by since Rylan's arrival that I haven't cried...multiple times.
It's definitely overwhelming but each day gets better and better.
Slowly we're getting into a routine, a "schedule" so to speak and dealing better each day with the lack of sleep.
You don't remember how tired you get!
But my family feels complete now.
Like Rylan was always meant to be here with us.
And the love I have for my girls, and for Kyle, has just grown exponentially.
Kyle has been amazing, and I just can't imagine having anyone else by my side.
I love him like nothing else.
And seeing him with his girls just melts my heart and makes me love him more and more.




7 comments:

  1. Aww so sweet!! I was pro epidural with my first and commend anyone that goes natural because it's not for me - the epidural is like magic, I had no worries, no pain, napped at 9 cm and all was good haha as you found out with Rylan! Lol so glad Kinsley loves her and doesn't seem to have much jealousy =) congrats mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! So glad you're back...I've been following your blog since the nursery posts for Kinsley. Congrats again! They are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet story! Adjusting to 2 is difficult for sure, but once you get into the groove of things and they get older and bond it is so amazing. My girls (5 & 2) were fighting all morning, and when I came out into the living room after straightening my hair for about 10 minutes I found them cuddled on the couch watching a movie. I'm nervous to see how I'm going to handle 3 when their little bro comes in May but seeing pics of newborn Rylan is making me very excited!

    Congrats again. She is absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations - she is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your new baby girl!! She is such a dolly and I can't believe how much she looks just like big sister:) I'm having baby girl #2 in June and I just keep thinking they are going to look totally different but maybe not;) Hope you are getting a little rest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATS!!!
    Wishing you all the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your story! The epidural is definitely a Godsend. How much did Rylan weigh? Was she more than Kinsley? My second was almost a pound more than my first, and I had her two weeks earlier and gained way less weight. Funny how it works! I'm excited to see how much my little man weighs.

    kdplus3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete